Take a virtual tour of Jacob’s University
- Residential campus in Bremen
- 1500 students. Small scale.
- The foremost international university in Germany – the only German university offering a full range of undergraduate courses in English. The majority are Maths/Science related.
- 100% English taught
- 124+ countries represented by the student body
- 85% of students are non-German
- 16.1 student to faculty ratio
- Interdisciplinary approach to undergraduate teaching
- Early research opportunities – possible from the 1st semester
- In the 1st year students get experience in the three different focus areas – similarities to the US-style Liberal Arts and Sciences curriculum
- 15 English taught programmes
- 3 year degree
- Focus on developing 3 key skills: intercultural awareness; flexibility and ability to adapt to change; autonomy and independence.
- The programmes are divided into three Focus Areas and there are seven academic departments:
MOBILITY = Maths and Logistics, Computer Science, and Electrical Engineering
HEALTH = Life Sciences and Chemistry, Physics and Earth Sciences
DIVERSITY = Business and Economics, Social Sciences and Humanities, and Psychology and Methods.
- 1st Year = Choice – students are not required to declare their major until the end of the first year (though many do) and take classes across all three focus groups.
- 2nd Year = Core / 3rd = Specialisation
- Mandatory internship between 2nd and 3rd year.
- A wide range of major/minor combinations
- Most popular majors: International Business Administration, Computer Science, Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- 61 global university partners offer opportunities for joint degrees, Erasmus, exchanges and visits. Links include: University of Edinburgh, Warwick University, Cornell, NYU, Rice University, Amsterdam and Utrecht University Colleges, University of Seoul, University of Barcelona, and many more.
- Very active career centre and alumni office
- Accommodation is fully residential in 4 colleges. Each has a unique identity. Friendly competition between them.
- Closed off and safe campus. 24/7 Residential Mentors. 5 minute walk to class. One bedroom apartments with shared showers.
- Over 60 student clubs.
- Vibrant campus life and students can access support and funding if they wish to start their own club, business or society.
- Tuition fees = 20,000 Euros per annum / Room and board = 8,000 Euros + health insurance + books and personal expenses
- Numerous sources of aid: merit-based aid (4,000 to 16,000 per year – automatic consideration), external scholarships, need-based financial aid, tuition deferral through the JuStudyAtEase programme – study now, pay later.
- Common App or online application
- June 1st deadline for those who need a visa. Decision usually within 2-4 weeks
- No application fee
- Application requirements: IB 35+, motivation essay, recommendations, extra curricular activities, English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo), SAT/ACT/TestAS – case-by-case basis as to whether these are required
- Look at last 3 years of High School and ‘weigh’ predicted grades
- Typical successful student: wants to study in Europe/Germany, and has an international outlook and/or multicultural background or interest. Many students have attended international schools.
- Benefits of studying in Germany: right to settle upon graduation / unlimited work permit after graduation / all included medical and dental insurance / Right to Return (6 month job search visa) if go on to do a master’s in another country
- Bremen is a medium sized city with a population of around 600,000. Very historic. The university is 12 minutes by train from the city centre. Very much a student city with four universities and a student population of over 30,000.
Visit the Jacobs University website